Most of us can’t function in the morning without a good cup of coffee, but did you know that too much caffeine can be detrimental to your health?
On April 26, a fit and healthy teenager named Davis Allen Cripe collapsed after consuming a combo of soda, latte and an energy drink. Two hours after, he fell unconscious in his classroom at Spring Hill High School and was pronounced dead at the hospital later, WLWT reported.
It was revealed by the coroner that the 16-year-old teen from South Carolina had earlier consumed several caffeinated beverages such as a large diet Mountain Dew, a McDonald’s latte and an unidentified energy drink – all in the span of two hours.
This resulted in a huge surge of caffeine in Davis’ body and his heart couldn’t cope with the OD, which led to heart complications. The coroner also warned the public that while caffeinated drinks are generally harmless when taken moderately, consuming them in large amounts can be fatal.
In Davis’ obituary, the heartbroken father described his son as someone ‘who was larger than life and has a heart of gold. He did everything with great passion’.
Besides that, the father also said that Davis has always been strongly against alcohol and drugs, and he would encourage others to stay away from them as well. It’s sad to think that Davis died from a ‘substance that was totally legal’.
Caffeinated drinks like coffee and energy drinks can come in handy when we’re rushing to complete assignments or projects. But if you’re experiencing nausea, increased heartbeat and vomiting, you know you need to slow down on your drinks, because those are the symptoms of caffeine overdose!
So, the next time you want to pull an all-nighter, you may want to be careful of the amount of caffeine you take.
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...