A 25-year-old man from northeast China swallowed a cigarette lighter during a drinking session on 24th November.
According to South China Morning Post, the man felt fine at first and even drunk more beer over the next few days. However, on the third day (27th November), he started vomiting and having excruciating stomach pain.
He went to the doctor where he told medical staff that he left the cigarette lighter in his stomach as he assumed it would pass through his body naturally and did not feel the urgency to get medical help. Is it possible for a lighter to pass through your digestive system?
As the doctors were treating him, they could smell lighter fluid from the man’s breath. Using a gastroscope, they found that one end of the lighter was broken.
They also found that the object was surrounded by gastric fluid and parts of the man’s stomach wall had been damaged.
“We first used a pincer and tried several times, but failed to get the lighter out,” one of the doctors said.
“Then I opened a net installed at the front end of the gastroscope to hold the lighter tightly before taking it out.”
“In this process, I had to adjust the angle slowly given that the oesophagus is thin and it’s easy for it to be scratched.”
The doctor then explained that the gastric juices in the man’s stomach may have eaten away at the lighter, causing lighter fluid to leak out and damage the digestive tract, which may result in gastric ulcers, erosions and perforations.
This is not a rare case as this is the fourth time in recent years that this particular hospital has treated a patient who swallowed a lighter.
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...