On 8th August, a two-year-old boy from Qingdao, China, saw a pack of pipe cleaning powder and put it into his mouth as he thought it was candy. His family wasn’t paying attention to him at the time, but when the mother saw what he did, she immediately flushed the white powder out of his mouth with water.
However, she didn’t expect that the powder and water mixture began corroding the boy’s mouth!
Six hours after the boy had consumed the powder, his mouth started feeling extremely painful and his mood worsened by the minute. Feeling that something wasn’t right, his parents quickly took him to the hospital after several clinics said they couldn’t help him, reported China Press.
The doctor examined the boy’s tongue, gums, palate and all parts of his mouth, and found that the mucosa – the moist tissue that lines certain parts of the inside of your body – was severely damaged and had turned white and yellow in colour!
It is known that pipe cleaning powders have a high level of alkalinity, and when mixed with water, heat is released in order to corrode stubborn stains, dissolve oil and remove other organic matter found in pipelines.
So, when the boy’s mother hurriedly made her son gargle water after he put the powder in his mouth, the powder reacted with the water and released a lot of heat. This caused a large area of the inside of his mouth to be corroded with burns on his mucosa.
The boy had also accidentally swallowed the liquid mixture which caused burns in his throat, esophagus and digestive tract!
Fortunately, the doctors were able to treat the infection and inflammation, and the boy’s condition gradually improved over time.
The boy must’ve been in a lot of pain! Luckily the doctors were able to treat him before it was too late.
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...