A 51-year-old man died when he swallowed an extremely hot fishcake that stopped him from breathing because his throat was burnt so badly.
Darren, a wedding planner from England, was sampling food at a venue on 4th April when he was given a hot fishcake by a chef. Moments later, he sensed something was wrong and went to the Urgent Care Ward at Chorley Hospital when the pain in his throat intensified.
According to Metro, Darren was given paracetamol and sent home, but at 9pm his voice box began swelling up until he couldn’t breathe or swallow because of the pain and swelling. Neil, his partner, heard him choking and ran upstairs.
“He was stood up choking and coughing so I banged his back but then he slid forward onto the floor,” Neil said.
Darren was taken to the hospital for treatment, but nothing could be done because the damage was so far down his throat that doctors could not see the damage without specialist equipment. Darren died after midnight.
According to pathologist, Dr Patrick Waugh, the condition that Darren had is usually found in people who were killed in house fires. They were found to have burned airways after inhaling smoke.
“The patient can appear well, they will be talking to you, but then the swelling starts,” he said.
At Bolton Coroners’ Court, asphyxiation – the state or process of being deprived of oxygen – was determined as the cause of Darren’s death.
“I believe there are enormous lessons to be learned,” acting senior coroner Alan Walsh said
“This was caused by eating a fishcake, very small and very hot but with catastrophic consequences. I find this an immense tragedy.”
“Darren was a larger than life character, always helping other people and was the centre of attention,” Neil, his partner said.
“He would take over a room if he walked in. He did loads for charity and was well liked in the community.”
Remember to blow on your hot food before putting it in your mouth as your throat is very sensitive!
RIP Darren 🙁
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...