Let’s be honest, as Malaysians, we have all heard of a certain ‘fact’ or ‘truth’ that people have shared with us and more often than not, we tend to believe them without questioning whether they’re even real to begin with.
In fact, chances are, you might have heard of some of these before but never really looked them up. See how many you’re actually familiar with and whether they’re the real deal as claimed!
1. “1 year in dog year = 7 years in human years”
Source: Huffington Post
- All dogs actually age by 15 years within their first year!
- The calculation of how much they age after the first year is determined by their size as well as their breed.
- Here’s a handy infographic to show you just how much it differs:
2. “Drinking coffee will make you dehydrated”
- This weird belief comes from a study that was done in 1928 indicating that coffee has a diuretic effect on us.
- A diuretic is something that causes your body to produce more urine.
- The truth is, if drank moderately, coffee is basically like any other beverage. So, how much you drink in general affects how much you pee.
- That’s right, you can enjoy your cup of kopi-o with no worries!
3. “You should NOT sleep with wet hair”
Source: The Japan Times
- Our Asian parents told us this since young – mostly warning us that we’d fall sick or our head will ‘masuk angin’.
- However, there are NO studies that prove this.
- The reason why most people believe this to be true is the possibility of the cold weather that could affect you and potentially make you sick, which is a big ‘if’.
- The only real way for you to actually get sick is if you’re already exposed to a virus or bacteria of some sort.
- If you’ve got a healthy immune system, you really don’t have to worry about these things.
4. “Eating ice cream will make your cold worse”
- Growing up, we were told to avoid ‘cold’ things when we were sick because it will only make you feel colder and slow down your recovery.
- We were also told to stay away from milk and other dairy products. According to a doctor at Mayo Medical School, “Drinking milk may make phlegm thicker and more irritating to the throat than it would normally be, but it doesn’t cause the body to make more phlegm”.
- In fact, cold sufferers are recommended to take cream-based soups, ice cream and other things to help soothe their sore throats and get their much needed calories. Who knew?
5. “If it’s past the expiry date, just throw it out”
Source: Mancunian Matters
- There are actually different terms that you’ll find on food packaging and understanding them can prevent you from actually throwing away some perfectly edible food.
- The ones that are commonly found in Malaysia are the “expiry date” and the “best before date”.
- The best before date is actually just a suggestion by the manufacturer on when the product would be at its peak quality. The expiry date is the indication of when a food is safe to consume or not.
- So, when you’re looking at the best before or expiration date on your food items, don’t immediately throw them away. The best way to tell if the food is safe for consumption is to really look at the texture (has it changed in any way?) and take a whiff (does it smell okay?). Canned or dry goods past the expiration date are often still okay to eat.
6. “Telcos offer unlimited data with restrictions”
Yeap, we’ve all heard or experienced this before. We take a look around at the different plans offered and just when we think we’ve found an unlimited plan that actually looks good, it turns out that there are actually hidden charges or restrictions for when we can actually use the ‘unlimited’ data.
Potong stim only, right? No one wants to watch their videos ONLY in the early morning leh.
If you can relate to this scenario and wish there were no restrictions or T&Cs to unlimited data plans, why not check out the new “U Mobile Giler Unlimited GX50 Postpaid” plan instead? You can actually get straight up unlimited data 24 hours a day with no weekend or weekday limit whatsoever. Yes, it’s true!
Here’s what else this plan has to offer:
- Unlimited data for literally anything: video/music streaming, social media, mobile gaming, chat… the list goes on!
- Unlimited calls to all networks, plus:
- FREE 5GB of Mobile Hotspot data to share with your friends (‘cos you so generous mah)
And this is all for the price of RM50! Just take a look at this comparison with other telcos and see for yourself how much more you can get out of it!
Ready to make the switch for a truly #GilerUnlimited experience? Then find out more details by clicking here.
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...