For most of us, 7-Eleven stores are our go-to whenever we need to grab a quick bite or quench our thirst; but did you know that they’ve subtly launched their very own store-brand potato chips?
Intrigued by this (and also because we were hungry), we decided to do a quick taste test on all three flavours – Original, Sour Cream & Onion, and Hot & Spicy.
Here’s how the packaging looks like with their minimalist design, which is probably why many of us failed to notice these 7-Select chips (retailing at RM3.20 each) on the shelves at first glance.
So, how did each flavour fare? Here’s our two cents.
1 . Original
- The earthiness of the potato definitely stood out the most in this OG flavour
- The amount of salt is just nice (not bland or overly salty), enough to boost the potato flavour and still taste relatively ‘healthy’
- Has a hint of ‘ngaku’ taste, which is surprisingly good
- The chips are thin and crunchy
Our verdict: If you love low-sodium chips (at least it tasted so) packed with potato flavour, this is the one for you.
2. Sour Cream & Onion
- The chips are salted to perfection, though we could use a little bit more of the sour cream and onion kick
- The sour cream taste is not too crazy, so you can still taste the potato goodness, unlike how some would totally drown the potato flavour
- After eating the chips, you can still talk to your colleagues in close proximity because the onion flavour is rather mild
Our verdict: We’d love the chips to be seasoned a little bit more with the sour cream and onion flavour, but that’s our personal preference.
3. Hot & Spicy
- The chips are noticeably thicker than the original flavour, thus offering much more satisfaction with each crunch
- The spiciness can be easily handled by any Malaysian, thanks to years of eating sambal
- The chips are slightly sweet and there was a hint of paprika as well
Our verdict: If you want to enjoy spicy potato chips without the tongue-burning sensation, trust this one to satiate your cravings.
Overall, we get the feeling that the manufacturer really focuses a lot on bringing out the natural flavour of the potato and enhancing it with various seasonings, instead of drowning the chips in tons of salt and extra enhancers. But don’t take our word for it, try it out for yourselves and let us know what you think!
#Throwback: Inspiring M’sians Who’ve Proven That It Takes Just a Bit of Guts to Spread Love & Make a Difference
Having the courage to show someone you love or care for them definitely takes a certain level of guts–no matter...
Here’s How M’sians Can Use PETRONAS Mesra Points Online & Redeem with AirAsia, Sunway Lagoon & More!
If you’re not a PETRONAS Mesra Card holder, you’re missing out big time! Here’s why you NEED to be a...
Win a Trip For 2 to Rio, London & More to visit the Iconic Olympic Stadiums From the Past! Here’s How
The very first time Malaysia participated in the Summer Olympics was back in 1964, wayyy before any of you were...