Be warned. Always ensure your air con is regularly checked every 12 months because not doing so could really put lives in danger!
A 24-year-old woman who is the owner of a HDB flat unit in Singapore had to watch helplessly as her entire four-bedroom flat burned down before her eyes from a fire caused by her air-conditioner on the afternoon of 23rd September.
The aircon that was fixed on the wall in one of the bedrooms was left on and the door was closed.
The woman was allegedly in the living room with her family when they heard noises from the bedroom. When they opened the door, they were shocked to find the whole room engulfed in flames!
The fire was so intense that the woman realised she wouldn’t be able to extinguish it in time, so she proceeded to hurriedly close the door and evacuate her family from the building.
According to Mothership.sg, the family of six consisted of a wheelchair bound 73-year-old, an 82-year old elderly person and even a five-year-old child!
The family kept a safe distance as they waited for firefighters to come to their aid. A passerby managed to take a video of the incident, revealing a lethal cloud of black smoke that could be seen coming out from the unit.
Thankfully, everybody was safe and the firefighters managed to extinguish the fire to stop it from spreading to other units.
So what was the cause of the air con exploding? While investigations are still ongoing, it was reported that the family had used the air-conditioner for six years now.
According to Hunker, most air conditioning fires are caused by a short circuit in wiring that causes the appliance to overheat and subsequently ignite. However, this tends to occur more frequently with air conditioning systems that are old and not inspected regularly.
Hence, this should be taken as a warning to those who like to leave their air con on in rooms unattended! We know the haze makes staying indoors the only option and air con is our best shot at staying well-ventilated.
However, leaving your air con on when nobody is in the room is not only wasteful in terms of electricity, it could also put lives at risk if your air-con isn’t inspected every 12 months!
Here’s Everything You Need to Know About PM’s PEMERKASA Announcement
Earlier this evening, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin held a press conference to announce the new special aid package, named ‘PEMERKASA’....
PEMERKASA: Govt To Increase Allowance Limit For OKU Workers From RM1,200 To RM1,500
In today’s live broadcast by Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, he announced that the government has agreed to increase...
PEMERKASA: Local SMEs To Receive RM1,000 Monetary Aid To Resume Operations
In today’s live broadcast by the Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, he announced monetary aid to help small and medium...
PEMERKASA: RM500 One-off Aid For B40 Individuals Who Lost Their Income
In today’s live broadcast by the prime minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, he announced a monetary initiative to help those who...
Popular Massage Parlour in Subang Jaya Raided By Police Officers During Ops Noda
On 13 March, a team of police from Subang Jaya’s D7 BSJD Branch has carried out a raid on a...
Lazada Turns 9 & They’re Launching The New ‘Lazada Bonus’ Feature Plus a Line-up of Surprises This March!
Having served the Malaysian online shopping community since 2012, Lazada celebrates its 9th anniversary this year with a new ‘Lazada...
Here’s How M’sians Can Show Their Skin Some Love & Achieve Their Skincare Goals By CNY
According to facial Feng Shui beliefs, clear and smooth skin is reflective of good intentions and smooth sailing for the...
MCO: Here’s How These M’sians Managed To Thrive & Sell 6,000-8,000kg of Produce a Month Thanks To Lazada
Just a few days ago, it was announced that the MCO will be reinstated and enforced on all states except...