A few hours ago, a fire shockingly broke out at IOI City Mall in Putrajaya, and shoppers as well as employees were forced to evacuate the building.
Netizens who happened to be in the building managed to record the incident and uploaded their footage on Facebook. From the videos, thick smoke could be seen filling up the building rapidly and that Watsons pharmacy was on fire.
According to Oriental Daily, the fire happened at 10.30am this morning and was believed to have started from Watsons that was located on the lower ground floor.
The spokesperson from the fire and rescue department said they received distress calls from members of the public in the morning and immediately dispatched several firemen from the Putrajaya Fire and Rescue Department to the scene.
“Since the fire happened in a shopping mall, the firemen had to act quickly and conducted the evacuation as fast as possible. About 300 people including shoppers and employees were evacuated,” the spokesperson said.
While the evacuation was going on, another team of firemen rushed to the pharmacy to put out the fire. It was reported that the fire was put out in a short time and no one was injured in the incident. Preliminary investigation revealed that a short circuit from the LED decorative lights at the counter was the cause of fire.
Following the incident, IOI City Mall has since issued a statement on Facebook.
“A small fire broke out at approximately 10.30am at Lower Ground Floor which was immediately contained by sprinklers. The mall was evacuated immediately in accordance to the mall’s safety procedures. No injuries sustained.”
All operations resumed within an hour, the statement added.
Thankfully no one was injured in this incident. Also, kudos to the abang bomba for putting out the fire in such a short time!
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...