Glass-top furniture and fittings are pretty common nowadays but while they are safe to use, it’s important to note that you should take proper care of them. A family living in a Sengkang flat was shocked when their glass-top stove suddenly shattered while they were not using it.
According to Lianhe Wanbao, they were startled when they heard a loud crack from the kitchen due to the tempered glass spontaneously shattering, which sent shards flying five metres away into the living room. The mother, identified as Chen, said that when the stove cracked, their domestic helper was in the kitchen washing dishes.
Chen said that the helper was washing the dishes at about 1pm. The glass from the stove fell to the ground and continued cracking for about 30 minutes until it was fully shattered. She added that they did not use the stove that day so the surface was not hot.
“Usually, my 12-year-old will help with the cooking and my younger son goes in and out of the kitchen frequently. Luckily, they were not in the kitchen at that time,” Chen said. She was puzzled and concerned about the stove as it was supposed to last for 10 years at least.
They had bought the stove in Feb 2017 and only started using it in April. This meant that they had only used it for almost three years so this was not supposed to happen. Chen contacted the stove distributor on the same day to lodge a report. However, the manufacturer said that it was not a product defect but the glass top had shattered because of use and maintenance issues.
Apparently, the stove cracked because of a rusty burner. The manufacturer said that the family did not clean the burner properly after spilling some soup on it and this caused it to corrode. Now, Chen is worried that other people might suffer the same fate as she had recommended the stove to several friends and family.
While tempered glass-top stoves are generally safe for use, it is important to take proper care of it as it can shatter if not maintained!
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...