Many of us have the habit of keeping leftovers after a meal and this is fine, especially if you store them properly. However, if it isn’t stored properly, then you run the risk of getting food poisoning, gastroenteritis or even worse. A 72-year-old man in Shanghai learnt this the hard way after he ate seafood that was no longer fresh and almost died from it.
According to HK On CC, the man had suddenly experienced diarrhoea, fever, dizziness and confusion, so he was rushed to the hospital. Doctors say that he was suffering from sepsis, also known as blood infection, as they discovered that his blood was infected with gram-negative bacteria.
This situation was very dangerous, as sepsis can lead to organ failure or even death. It was revealed that the old man had eaten cooked seafood that was stored overnight on Thursday (November 21st) as he did not want to waste food. The seafood must have been stored inappropriately as it was not fresh any more.
At first, he suffered from abdominal pain and diarrhoea before getting a fever of 38.6°C. He went to the doctor and took some fever medicine, which helped to drop his temperature temporarily. He was diagnosed with acute gastroenteritis but the symptoms were not alleviated, and the old man was sent to the hospital on Saturday (November 23rd).
He was sent to the Xinhua Hospital in Shanghai and when he arrived, the doctor said he was in a critical condition. At that time, the doctor said that the old man’s condition was critical as he was in a dazed and confused state. Currently, they are treating the old man, whose temperature had dropped to normal levels, but they are still monitoring his sepsis.
The doctor said that the sepsis was likely due to him eating the spoiled seafood as there might have been bacteria on the food that entered the man’s system through wounds in his mouth when he ate them.
Not wanting to waste food is good but do make sure that your food is stored properly!
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...