It goes without saying that showering and keeping ourselves clean is a daily part of our lives. In fact, most, if not all of us, would wash our faces and take a shower at least twice a day. After all, nothing beats going to school or work feeling refreshed, or coming home and going to bed after a nice, warm shower.
However, did you know that while showering is good for you, foam and bubbles can be harmful to your body and face? If you think having more foam and lather in your shower routines = clean, think again. Here’s why it’s best to avoid super foamy and bubbly products in your day-to-day bathroom regime:
1. Most foamy products are not pH balanced and will ruin the pH reading on your skin
In case you’re unaware, your skin has a natural pH reading of approximately 5.5, meaning it’s slightly on the acidic side. Unfortunately, most foamy products are not pH balanced and may be on the more alkaline side of the pH scale. Using these types of products on your face or body will have a tendency of causing:
- Dry and sensitive skin because the product isn’t pH balanced and it will end up causing your skin’s pH reading to be unbalanced as well.
- More breakouts as your skin no longer has its natural protective layer.
- It impairs your skin’s ability to retain moisture even if you use moisturising products.
2. The high amount of soap will irritate your skin and cause it to lose its protective layer
The acidity of your skin actually acts as a protective layer preventing nasty dust particles and bacteria from entering your skin. When this is damaged or completely stripped away (especially by high levels of soap in your foamy products), your skin becomes dry, loses its first line of defense, and becomes vulnerable to bacteria. This usually gives you that “squeaky clean” feeling after each wash which most think is good, but it really isn’t. That’s why it’s always best to choose a soap-free product to avoid these issues as well:
- Breakouts, especially when the soap overdries or over cleanses your skin.
- Your skin becomes unable to protect itself or rebuild dead skin cells after your natural oils are completely stripped off.
3. It probably only suits normal skin types
Most of your off-the-shelf soaps and cleansers, especially the foamy ones, are often made to suit normal skin types only. The ingredients in these bubbly products don’t usually take into account dry, sensitive, oily, combination skin types, let alone those with skin allergies such as eczema or psoriasis.
And for those of us with Asian skin, there’s a high chance most of us don’t fall under the normal skin type and would need a special soap or cleanser catered to our different needs. In fact, most Malaysian dermatologists would recommend gentle skin cleansers which are much less foamy but suited for all skin types, even those with allergies. This can help you avoid:
- Skin dullness, redness or increased skin sensitivity and even more severe skin conditions.
- Rough, dry or peeling skin.
- Flare-ups, breakouts, and clogged pores.
4. Foamy products usually contain A LOT of fragrances that irritate the skin
If you’re the type of person to judge a product based on how nice it smells, you should know that the stronger the scent, the more fragrances that are found in it. These fragrances are all likely made up of synthetic chemicals that can negatively affect your skin’s protective layer and more. Some of the issues tied to these chemicals include:
- Skin irritations that can lead to redness, itch, breakouts, dry and peeling skin, and so forth
- Fragrances and synthetic colours can cause allergies
Evidently, skincare products don’t just affect the surface of your skin, but your overall health too. And while it is important to cleanse your face and body to remove impurities from the surface of your skin daily, it’s crucial to note that you should not strip your skin of its natural oils.
If your current products give you that squeaky clean feeling after each use, remember that it is not a good feeling, especially if it’s your face! In fact, it’s time to throw those products out as they will only bring more harm than good in the long run.
Remember that any good cleanser you buy should always come with these benefits:
- Soap-free – To avoid over-drying your skin
- Fragrance-free – It won’t irritate your skin
- Dermatologist recommended – You’ll never go wrong finding a product that’s trusted by doctors and dermatologists as these medical experts will only recommend the best for you with your skin health in mind.
- Non-comedogenic – It won’t clog your pores, hence reduce breakouts
- pH balanced – The pH reading closely matches your skin’s so as to ensure it doesn’t strip your skin of its natural protective barrier
- Clinically proven to be non-irritating
- Made with a safe and gentle formulation that cleans while still leaving your skin feeling moisturised (it also will not sting the eyes)
With that said, if you’re keen to try out something new in terms of your face wash that comes with all the above benefits, you can opt to try Cetaphil’s Gentle Skin Cleanser instead! Healthy skin is something all women want, after all!
This soap-free, Dermatologist-recommended product is suitable for all skin types including dry, sensitive, oily, combination, normal, even those with eczema or psoriasis, and will give your skin the tender loving care it deserves.
Sounds too good to be true? Well, believe it guys! Even admin uses this cleanser! Renowned Malaysian actress, Lisa Surihani has also been a firm believer of the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser ever since she was pregnant with her second child, Yusof.
View this post on Instagram
Pregnancy hormones made her skin very oily and that’s when she decided to give Cetaphil a try. She hasn’t looked back since. This explains why her skin still looks so silky smooth!
If you don’t believe us, give the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser a try and find out for yourself! It may not give you the super “squeaky clean” feeling your foamy cleansers give you, but it still does the job when it comes to cleaning and keeping your skin soft. It doesn’t foam much at all so it will take time to get used to, but it’s definitely the better option for the long run.
Interested to get yourself a bottle? Visit any Watsons pharmacy near you or find out more about the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser here!
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...