Babies and young children generally have weaker immune systems so it’s better to stay away from them when you’re sick, lest they get infected with any illnesses. A Malaysian mother in Seremban recently shared her experience when her five-month-old daughter developed skin infections which caused her face to become swollen and painful.
It was on 2nd August that she noticed that her daughter’s right eye was swollen. She and her husband thought that her daughter had gotten bitten by ants as she had a similar experience before. Later at night, her baby’s mouth and eyes got progressively more red and swollen and the next morning, they brought her to the clinic as they thought that she might have had an allergic reaction.
At first, the doctor gave her some cream to apply on her baby, and they went home, thinking the problem was over. However, on Sunday (4th August) she was shocked to see that her baby’s condition had deteriorated, as the skin around her mouth was red, swollen and peeling, so they rushed to the hospital’s emergency department.
“We were waiting to be admitted and my baby’s condition was worsening. Her eyes were so swollen they could barely open while her mouth was red and peeling. At night, it got worse as she started bleeding, and I was at my wits’ end. The doctor on duty at that time explained to me that it was not an allergy but was actually skin infections.”
Apparently, her baby had contracted impetigo and scalded skin syndrome, which is usually caused by skin contact. The doctor said that someone who has the infection could have passed it on when they touched her baby, and the mother said that from now onwards, she will be extra careful not to let other people simply hold her baby.
In case you didn’t know, impetigo is defined as a common and highly contagious skin infection that mainly affects infants and children, and usually appears as red sores around the nose, mouth, hands, and feet, Mayo Clinic reported. As for scalded skin syndrome, Healthline says that it is caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus and is common for children under age six with the appearance of crusty sores. Both of these infections are easily transmitted through skin-on-skin contact.
The doctor started treatment for her daughter and told her that it would take about two weeks for her baby to recover. Luckily, after about five days in the hospital, the doctor said that her daughter could be discharged as she was well on her way to recovery.
The mother said that throughout the whole ordeal she was heartbroken and sad seeing her daughter like this, so she wanted to share her experience to alert other parents. She said that she learnt this lesson the hard way and advised others to be more cautious with their young kids and their contact with other people.
#Throwback: Inspiring M’sians Who’ve Proven That It Takes Just a Bit of Guts to Spread Love & Make a Difference
Having the courage to show someone you love or care for them definitely takes a certain level of guts–no matter...
Here’s How M’sians Can Use PETRONAS Mesra Points Online & Redeem with AirAsia, Sunway Lagoon & More!
If you’re not a PETRONAS Mesra Card holder, you’re missing out big time! Here’s why you NEED to be a...
Win a Trip For 2 to Rio, London & More to visit the Iconic Olympic Stadiums From the Past! Here’s How
The very first time Malaysia participated in the Summer Olympics was back in 1964, wayyy before any of you were...