Just not long ago in June 2018, several brands of canned sardines imported from China into Malaysia were found to be contaminated with parasitic roundworms that could be detrimental to health if consumed. All these brands were apparently held back before they could make it into the market but it looks like there may be some problems with locally-produced canned sardines as well.
According to Berita Harian, a 38-year-old housewife, Shuhelniwati, was preparing a meal for her husband in the morning and had opened the can of sardines to make sandwiches. However, she was shocked when she found that the sardines had a few worms inside.
Her father, Shukor Yatim, 65, said that she found worms in two out of five cans of sardines that she had bought in a supermarket in Bahau, Negeri Sembilan last Friday (September 28) and they had an expiry date in the year 2021. That’s still a very long time!
The canned sardines are locally-produced items and it was unclear whether this is an isolated incident. Shukor says that he will be reporting the worms to the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) so that they can investigate the incident.
There has been no news about other occurrences of this worm incident but do check your food before eating or cooking if you don’t want to be
#Throwback: Inspiring M’sians Who’ve Proven That It Takes Just a Bit of Guts to Spread Love & Make a Difference
Having the courage to show someone you love or care for them definitely takes a certain level of guts–no matter...
Here’s How M’sians Can Use PETRONAS Mesra Points Online & Redeem with AirAsia, Sunway Lagoon & More!
If you’re not a PETRONAS Mesra Card holder, you’re missing out big time! Here’s why you NEED to be a...
Win a Trip For 2 to Rio, London & More to visit the Iconic Olympic Stadiums From the Past! Here’s How
The very first time Malaysia participated in the Summer Olympics was back in 1964, wayyy before any of you were...