Gambling during Chinese New Year is tradition. Friends and family gather around the table or most of the time, be seated in a circle on the floor, to play a friendly game of cards.
To the Chinese, it’s the perfect time to have a little laugh while bonding over the games that are played. Black Jack, In Between, 3 Kings, Bacarat, Mahjong, you name it!
Now, while we don’t condone gambling, but everyone knows it’s tradition to play during Chinese New Year for fun.
And if you’re planning on gambling this Chinese New Year, you may wanna look left, right, up, down before doing so. Here’s some things you should know:
- According to Malaysia’s Betting Act 1953, any police officer who suspects a person or premise is able to conduct a search.
- Recently, Bukit Aman’s Special Task Force for Anti-Vice, Gambling and Gangsterism (STAGG) announced that no gambling is allowed during the festive season, kinda like a reminder they do almost every year.
- Police is carrying out raids during Chinese New Year known as ‘Ops Limau’ from 15th January to 11th February to ensure everyone stays away from this activity which is considered negative to the society.
- Gambling at your own home is indeed illegal. Gambling is only permitted in licensed premises like Genting Casinos.
- Regardless of the amount used, even if you bet as little as 10 cents, you are still in the wrong and will be put into lock-up.
- All the evidence the police need to prove you’re guilty is the articles used for bets (eg. cards).
- If found guilty, you’ll be fined not less than RM 5,000 or jail time not more than 6 months.
- According to Malaysia’s Betting Act 1953, informers (aka snitches) are rewarded with the fine or portion of fine collected by the Magistrate. Beware of your neighbours ratting you out!
So, this Chinese New Year, either you guys just stay away from playing, or make sure not to play out in the open and have all your curtain’s drawn!
#Throwback: Inspiring M’sians Who’ve Proven That It Takes Just a Bit of Guts to Spread Love & Make a Difference
Having the courage to show someone you love or care for them definitely takes a certain level of guts–no matter...
Here’s How M’sians Can Use PETRONAS Mesra Points Online & Redeem with AirAsia, Sunway Lagoon & More!
If you’re not a PETRONAS Mesra Card holder, you’re missing out big time! Here’s why you NEED to be a...
Win a Trip For 2 to Rio, London & More to visit the Iconic Olympic Stadiums From the Past! Here’s How
The very first time Malaysia participated in the Summer Olympics was back in 1964, wayyy before any of you were...