This seems serious!
Singaporean authorities have recalled a Malaysian bottled mineral water brand because it, apparently, contains a common environmental bacterium. FYI, this bacterium is said to be found in faeces, soil, water and sewage. Oh dear!
In a statement which was released yesterday (12th June 2019), the SFA (Singapore Food Agency) shared that the bacterium (scientifically known as Pseudomonas aeruginosa) was found in “Starfresh” bottled mineral water – a brand imported from Malaysia – during a routine checking of the product, reported Malay Mail.
If you didn’t know, Starfresh mineral water comes in both 500ml and 1.5 litres bottles.
Following that, the SFA instructed Radha Exports, who is an importer, to recall the product. Furthermore, the statement said that the bacterium “can multiply in water environments”. Besides that, it can also grow on the “surface of suitable organic materials” that come in contact with water.
SFA was quoted as saying,
“Use or consumption of products contaminated with Pseudomonas aeruginosa can cause a range of infections but rarely causes serious illness in healthy individuals.”
Therefore, people who have already bought Starfresh bottled mineral water are advised against drinking it. But, anyone who accidentally drank the water before the announcement was made should seek medical advice, said SFA. Take note, guys!
On top of that, affected consumers can also contact Radha Exports at +65 6220 2777 for further enquiries or if they want to exchange the product.
Having said that, we aren’t sure if this product is sold in Malaysia and at the time of writing, the Malaysian Health Ministry has yet to release a statement on this issue. It looks like we’ve got to keep our eyes peeled for more information on this matter!
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...