This Artist Uses Pixels to Show How Many of These 22 Endangered Animals Remain on Earth
Many species of animals all around the world are at the risk of becoming extinct and it’s scary to know that these beautiful creatures could no longer exist on the face of the earth very soon.
An Imgur user called JJSmooth44 posted a series of photos of animals that have been categorised as endangered species, but what’s unique about these images is that each animal’s remaining population is visually represented by the number of pixels in the photos.
“Every Pixel is one animal. The more pixelated the image, the closer it is to extinction,” the artist explains.
He was inspired by a similar series made for World Wildlife Fund in 2008 called WWF Japan – Population by pixel, and set out to create a series of his own that alarmingly shows how so many animals are at the brink of extinction.
Some populations have so few left that you can hardly make them out from the picture because of how pixelated they are.
1. Amur Leopard – estimated about 60 remain
2. African Wild Dog – estimated between 3,000 and 5,500 remain
3. Amur Tiger – estimated about 450 remain
4. Asian Elephant – estimated between 40,000 and 50,000 remain
5. Bengal Tiger – estimated about 2,500 remain
6. Black Footed Ferret – estimated about 300 remain
7. Black Rhino – estimated about 5,000 remain
8. Blue Whale – estimated between 10,000 and 25,000 remain
9. Bonobo – estimated between 10,000 and 50,000 remain
10. Bornean Orangutan – estimated between 45,000 and 69,000 remain
11. Borneo Pygmy Elephant – estimated about 1,500 remain
12. Chimpanzee – estimated between 172,700 and 299,700 remain
13. Easter Lowland Gorilla – estimated about 17,000 remain
14. Fin Whale – estimated between 50,000 and 90,000 remain
15. Galapagos Penguin – estimated about 2,000 remain
16. Giant Panda – estimated about 1,864 remain
17. Green Sea Turtle – estimated between 3,000 and 5,500 remain
18. Hectors Dolphin – estimated about 7,000 remain
19. Indian Elephant – estimated between 20,000 and 25,000 remain
20. Indochinese Tiger – estimated between 600 and 650 remain
21. Indus River Dolphin – estimated about 1,100 remain
22. Javan Rhino – estimated about 60 remain
Isn’t it scary to see visual representations of the population of these endangered animals? Hopefully none of them will actually become extinct.
Also read: Did You Know 40% Of All Giraffes Have Died & They’re Close To Extinction?
Here’s Everything You Need to Know About PM’s PEMERKASA Announcement
Earlier this evening, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin held a press conference to announce the new special aid package, named ‘PEMERKASA’....
PEMERKASA: Govt To Increase Allowance Limit For OKU Workers From RM1,200 To RM1,500
In today’s live broadcast by Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, he announced that the government has agreed to increase...
PEMERKASA: Local SMEs To Receive RM1,000 Monetary Aid To Resume Operations
In today’s live broadcast by the Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, he announced monetary aid to help small and medium...
PEMERKASA: RM500 One-off Aid For B40 Individuals Who Lost Their Income
In today’s live broadcast by the prime minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, he announced a monetary initiative to help those who...
Popular Massage Parlour in Subang Jaya Raided By Police Officers During Ops Noda
On 13 March, a team of police from Subang Jaya’s D7 BSJD Branch has carried out a raid on a...
Lazada Turns 9 & They’re Launching The New ‘Lazada Bonus’ Feature Plus a Line-up of Surprises This March!
Having served the Malaysian online shopping community since 2012, Lazada celebrates its 9th anniversary this year with a new ‘Lazada...
Here’s How M’sians Can Show Their Skin Some Love & Achieve Their Skincare Goals By CNY
According to facial Feng Shui beliefs, clear and smooth skin is reflective of good intentions and smooth sailing for the...
MCO: Here’s How These M’sians Managed To Thrive & Sell 6,000-8,000kg of Produce a Month Thanks To Lazada
Just a few days ago, it was announced that the MCO will be reinstated and enforced on all states except...