Warning: Graphic images are included in this article
Clearly, someone didn’t take their safety lessons seriously.
A 25-year-old woman sustained very severe burns after using her handphone at a petrol station in Setapak Indah.
She was using her handphone whilst filling petrol when the accident occurred. While filling up her tank, she opened the left hind door and bent over to reach to the driver’s seat to grab her phone, report Orietal Daily.
Image source: Oriental Daily
She suffered burns to 60 per cent of her body after it was engulfed in flames.
“A spark ignited from the pump and triggered a reaction with her handphone,” said Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Samsol Maarif Saibani.
Firemen were alerted of the incident at 1.25pm and deployed five personnel from the Wangsa Maju Fire and Rescue Department.
Numerous signs can be found at petrol stations warning customers against using their handphone devices on-site, especially when filling up petrol as it could trigger a fire. However, clearly not all these signs are regarded.
Petrol Dealers Association Malaysia president Datuk Hashim Othman said static electricity could cause sparks to occur and this could have led to a fire or explosion due to the fumes in the air.
“The same goes for a running car engine which might also emit sparks. This is why drivers should turn off their engines when refuelling, and smoking or lighting a fire is definitely a big no in the premises.
“We have been educating the public about the fire hazards but somehow, this is still happening,” he said.
Just last week a little boy got burnt after playing with a lighter while his mom was filling up petrol.
Klang Is A Red Zone But School Sessions Will Carry On, Says Education Dept
The Selangor State Education Department (JPNS) says that school sessions in Klang will still continue as usual even though the...
Police Arrest OKU Man With Pink Tag At A Supermarket In Melaka
Police have arrested a man with hearing disabilities who was wearing a pink tag. The man was arrested at a...
Kitchen Helper From Huckleberry Damansara Heights Tests Positive For Covid-19
Huckleberry Damansara Heights just reported that one of their own kitchen helpers tested positive for Covid-19. In a statement put...
PM: Interstate Travel Between East Malaysia To Semenanjung Temporarily Banned
It looks like Malaysia isn’t going into lockdown yet, but if they consider it, they’ll let us know earlier, at...
Health DG: Third Death Case Today Is 1-year-old Baby From Semporna, Sabah
Malaysia recorded an all-time high in the number of Covid-19 cases today, 691 positive cases with 688 local transmissions and...